Adaptive Project Leadership: Helping You and Your Teams Succeed in Disruptive Times
What makes an adaptive leader and why is adaptive project leadership more important now than ever? Our recent #StratExLive webinar addressed these questions in a conversation between Tim Wasserman, Chief Learning Officer of Strategy Execution, and Alaina Burden, Program Director of the Adaptive Strategic Execution Program. To start, Wasserman and Burden explored the variables that result in project work being more volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous (VUCA) and the heightened need for an adaptive mindset as projects become more critical to overall organizational success.
After determining why and how project work is changing, Wasserman goes on to explain that projects are categorized into four operating contexts: simple, complicated, complex, and chaotic. Adaptive leadership starts with identifying your operating context then deciding the best approach to take to successfully lead and manage work for the situation. Leaders and organizations that are willing to approach projects with an altered mindset for the situation – an adaptive mindset – are better equipped to handle uncertainty and unfamiliarity.
Some key takeaways from the webinar are that:
- Adaptive leaders have the ability to make sense of complexity by reframing, rewiring, and reconfiguring or changing the way they see, think, or act when it comes to different projects.
- Successful adaptive leaders adjust their approach constantly depending on their operating context, as they simultaneously navigate the business ecosystem where strategy, work, and people intersect.
- The skills, tools, and mindset of an adaptive leader can be practiced and learned.
Watch the recorded webinar on adaptive project leadership to find out what you can do to help your team and organization succeed during disruptive times.
To learn more about how leaders leverage adaptive thinking to execute projects and drive results, visit www.strategyex.com/asep.
and expertise to lead and execute projects in any context. With curricula in adaptive strategic execution, project management, business analysis, contract management, and more, Strategy Execution partners with your organization to build skill sets and change mindsets. It’s time to declare a new standard of performance. For more information, visit strategyex.com.
Latest posts by Strategy Execution (see all)
- The Link Between Purpose and Success: The New Core Project Leadership Discipline - May 21, 2019
- Connect with us at #ATD2019 - May 15, 2019
- 4 Key Impacts of PMIAA on Federal Program and Project Managers - May 6, 2019